This page collects some common questions about exhibiting at the Faire.
The Minneapolis-St. Paul Mini Maker Faire opened its Call for Makers in early March. That page describes the different types of Makers and exhibitors, how the application process goes, and has some general information about the Faire.
After filling out the short Call for Makers form, the application goes into review. If your application is accepted, you will receive details about completing a second form that provides booth details and confirms your participation. This form will be available to accepted Makers starting in April.
Transportation and Parking
- Best way to enter the fairgrounds for our event is to take Canfield St. off of Como Avenue. Canfield is the street just east of the University Transitway streetlight. Follow Canfield into the fairgrounds to the Midway Parking Lot. All parking for Maker Faire will be in this lot. THERE IS NO SPECIFIED PARKING FOR EXHIBITORS, it’s all first come first served.
- Bike racks are available near the west entrance of the Grandstand.
Tickets and Check-in
- You MUST have a ticket or wristband to get in the door on Saturday. You will receive an email with information as the event gets closer.
- Print a scannable ticket or download one to your smart phone. We will scan these at the Exhibitor Check-In booth.
- We will charge anyone – exhibitor or helper to exhibitor – full price admission if they do not bring their scannable ticket or wristband to get in on Saturday.
- Exhibitor Check-in is located near the West Side entrance to the Grandstand. Check-in will be staffed on Thursday afternoon, Friday morning before Education Day and afternoon after Education Day, and Saturday morning.
- Check-in to receive wristband and booth location.
Load-in, Setup, and Load-out
- Thursday, May 31 from 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Friday, June 1 from 8:00 AM TO 9:00 AM; 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Saturday, June 2 from 7:30 AM to 9:00 AM
- Your booth must be set up by 9:00 AM Saturday.
- You will be able to drive your vehicle closer to the Grandstand for unloading, but FIRST please park and come to the Exhibitor Check-in table on the West side of the Grandstand to find out where your booth is so you can choose the closest entrance.
- The perimeter of the festival grounds will be marked with personnel barricades.
- Entrances are located on the west side and east side of the Grandstand.
- WEST SIDE: Temporarily park and unload on Chambers Street.
- EAST SIDE: Temporarily park and unload on Nelson Street
- Please do not leave your vehicle parked on Chambers and Nelson for longer than 30 minutes.
- Maker Faire volunteers will be on hand to help you check in, find your booth, deal with electrical questions or handle problems on booth setup. However, no one is available to help you unload and set up your booth, so please plan accordingly.
- Please try to bring any supplies you may need in the setup of your booth including:
- Extensions cords
- Pen & paper
- Saturday, June 2 after 6:00 PM
- Sunday, June 3 between 9:00 AM and noon
- Unless you’ve requested otherwise, your booth will be approximately 10’x10′ and come with one 8’ table and two folding chairs.
- Every booth has an 8’ drape behind it unless you are against a wall. Booths are separated by 3’ rails without drape.
- If you’ve requested a larger booth, you will have a larger booth. Do not expect a separate confirmation for this. Payments for larger booths are due on the day of the event.
- If you’ve requested extra tables or chairs, they should already be in your booth by the time you arrive.
- Booths are loosely arranged by broad category. We have tried to accommodate all placement requests, but please be understanding if we are unable to fulfill your request.
Education Day, Friday June 1
If you have signed up to exhibit on Education Day, here’s what you need to know.
- Please have your booth set up by 8:30 AM Friday, June 1. Since gates open on Friday at 8:00 AM, we encourage you to setup on Thursday between 2:00 and 7:00 PM.
- Education Day has two sessions that will have students from multiple schools attending.
- Morning session runs from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Afternoon session runs from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM
- Lunch break is from 11:00 to 12:00 AM. PLEASE NOTE: there are no food vendors on site during Friday. Please either bring a lunch or plan accordingly. The nearest restaurants are:
- Nelson’s Cheese & Deli (sandwiches & salads) 1562 Como Ave (essentially Como & Snelling)
- Mim’s Café (Mediterranean), 1435 Cleveland Ave N (across from St. Paul UofM campus)
- Finnish Bistro (sandwiches & salads), 2264 Como Ave (St. Anthony)
To show our gratitude for your time and efforts to support Maker Faire, we host the Maker Party and a hospitality room during the event.
- Maker Party is Friday, June 1 from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Food & drink will be provided at the Grandstand during setup. Please RSVP using the link you received in email.
- The hospitality room is at the back of the Grandstand and open only to Makers – your wristband may be checked! Snacks and beverages will be provided.
- If you need to take a short break and want someone to watch your booth, flag down a volunteer. If they can’t do it, they will find someone who can.
Maker Faire is all about getting your hands dirty and we encourage you to provide some hands-on activities for attendees. But with that, there’s always safety concerns, so please know:
- We do have a festival-wide safety waiver. We will have volunteers asking people to sign as they come in the entrances. We will also have waivers at the Information Tent, which is located just outside the Grandstand in the center of the building.
- People who have signed this waiver will be wearing a BLUE wristband in addition to their green entrance wristband. You can require people to have signed the waiver to participate in your booth’s activity. We encourage you to do this should it include heat or flame, sharp objects or other opportunities for cuts or injuries.
- If people do not have a wristband and want to get one, direct them to the Information Tent.
- We will have people trained in first aid available throughout the event, June 1 and 2.
- First Aid will be housed in the Information Tent.
- In case of an injury, please either send the person to the Information Tent or if it is too serious for them to go, send a volunteer to the Information Tent to retrieve a first aid responder. They will have a wireless radio so if you see a Maker Faire volunteer with a headset, flag them down.
- Please notify us if you have an injury at your booth so we can follow up with the attendee.
Safety precautions protect all of us and enable us to keep hosting Maker Faire. Just be smart and have a plan to respond. Thank you!
Every maker gets a 10×10 booth. Upgrading to a 10×20 booth space costs $100. If you need more space than 10×20, please contact us.
There is no fee for individual makers showing in the regular 10×10 booth.
There is a fee of $100 to sell things at your booth.
The Minneapolis-St. Paul Mini Maker Faire opens its doors a day early for qualifying 7th graders to help get students excited about making. We invite our exhibitors to setup early and participate in this event. We provide a set supplies stipend in order to make it easier for makers to provide hands-on experiences.
Spreading the word
Your help in spreading the word about the Minneapolis-St. Paul Mini Maker Faire is greatly appreciated! We have a presence on Facebook and Twitter. Feel free to use our our badges and logo when you announce you’ve been accepted.
To download our badges or logo to use in social media, right click on the image and choose “Save Target As”.
Still have a question?
If your questions aren’t answered here, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.